In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

Interstate Child Custody | San Antonio Criminal Lawyer | Bexar County Family Attorney | Law Office of Bill Baskette
110 West Nueva Street | San Antonio, TX 78204



Interstate Child Custody

Interstate Custody—More Complexity and More Difficulty in Texas and the United States

Disputes over custody can be more challenging in two places

As the world becomes increasingly mobile, parents and their children face more difficult issues involving custody. Perhaps you want to modify your child custody and visitation rights, but you live in a state other than Texas. Or you may want to keep your child from being relocated. You might be involved in an interstate divorce. You may also be facing divorce with a parent who doesn’t live in Texas. At the Law Office of Bill Baskette, I have extensive experience with complex custody disputes from more than 30 years of private practice and service as a family court judge.

What are my custody rights when my ex-spouse and I live in different states?

Custody cases become complicated as more and more people need to move out of Texas for jobs, new marriages or family matters. Whatever the situation, it’s important to know the law, your options and your rights. As a family law lawyer, I can help answer questions including:
  • What are my custody rights after interstate divorce?
  • Can my spouse relocate to a different state with my child?
  • How will interstate divorce affect my custody rights?
  • If I move away, will I lose custody of my child?
  • Can I get a modification to an original custody order out of state?

What is the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act?

Texas, like most states, has adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). These two laws deal with interstate custody issues. For example, the UCCJEA protects noncustodial parents whose children have been moved to another state or more than 100 miles away from them. The relocating parent must provide the other parent with at least 60 days’ notice of the relocation plans, which usually include visitation schedules, travel cost payment and reimbursement rules. An intestate child custody dispute may arise where there is a question over jurisdiction (where should the case be decided) or applicable state laws (which state laws govern the case) — UCCJEA was enacted to settle disputes involving these jurisdictional issues.

Informing and supporting you in interstate child custody matters

While the UCCJEA determines where a case should be heard, it’s important to know what your rights are in a UCCJEA case. I consider it my duty as a family law and divorce attorney to keep you informed and abreast of all developments in your case. I aggressively advocate for your interests involving:
  • Interstate child custody disputes
  • Parental relocation to another state
  • Separated parents
  • International relocation
  • Divorce in Texas
  • Child custody disputes in Texas
  • Kidnapping

Helping Texans with child custody throughout the United States

When it comes to managing the UCCJEA, I work with you to make sure your rights and your children’s rights are protected. Call the Law Offices of Bill Baskette for a compassionate initial consultation regarding your case. Contact me today with a free email inquiry about how I can represent you, or call my office at 210.930.1200. My office is downtown, directly across from the Bexar County Courthouse, with plenty of street and lot parking within two blocks. I offer weekend and evening hours by appointment.